Email Troubleshooting (Mac)
AccountEdge for Mac supports both Mac Mail and Outlook. We support the latest versions of Mac Mail and Outlook 2016 and the 365 update.
AccountEdge sends email using the default email client you have set on your machine. The default client is set through Mac Mail. To set your default email client:
- Open Mac Mail
- Choose "Mail" from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Choose "Prefences" from the dropdown menu
- The first option under the "General" tab is to set the Default email reader - choose the email client you would like
For more information on configuring Mail please see this support article from Apple.
Troubleshooting Sending Email
The first thing you should check is that your default email client is properly set. See the configuration section for how to do this. If you have the client you want to set properly here try:
- Choose another mail client
- Quit Mail
- Reopen Mail and set the client you wish to be the default again
If you have Outlook 2011 installed try:
- Quit Mail
- Open Outlook
- Choose "Outlook" from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Choose "Preferences" from the dropdown menu
- Under "General" check the box to "Make Outlook the default application for e-mail, contacts, and calendar"
- Quit Outlook
- Open Mac Mail and set Mac Mail as your default client
Errors When Sending Email
I/O Error -5000 in Reset Routine
I/O Error in Routine
Variations on this error may include messages similar to the following:
— Error - I/O Error in Get Routine
— The attachment file was created successfully but there was an error writing it
— Error sending email
There are 3 known causes of these errors:
- Security software: Antivirus, firewall and other security software or settings may prevent your software from communicating with your email program. Try temporarily disabling any security programs and see if they are the cause.
- Permissions Incorrect on the Application: You can correct this by:
- Opening Finder
- Choosing "Go" from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Choosing Applications from the dropdown menu
- Clicking into the AccountEdge folder
- Control-clicking on the AccountEdge app
- Choosing "Show Package Contents"
- Control-clicking on the contents folder
- Setting the permissions to Read & Write at all levels
- Clicking the action button at the bottom and applying to enclosed items
- Access to temporary files denied: When sending a document via email from AccountEdge, a PDF document is created and stored in a temporary folder on your computer. The PDF is 'Read Only' so it is not deleted or changed while the email is generated. After the email is created in the email program, such as Microsoft Outlook, the PDF document is deleted. In the event of a time-out, computer crash, or other unexpected interruption during this process, the software does not get the chance to delete the PDF and it is left behind in a 'Read Only' state.
Try restarting your AccountEdge and your email program. This may remove the 'Read Only' status of the PDF. If the error persists, you can search for the PDF file on your computer and delete it.
|If the error was generated in...||Then delete the file named...|
To delete these files:
- Using Finder, navigate to the Email attachments folder found in the following location (Custom Forms/Support folder)
- Open the Email attachments folder
- Delete the contents of the Email attachments folder. Ensure the Email attachments folder is empty
- Set the permissions on the Email attachments folder:
- Right-click (or Ctrl+click) the Email attachments folder and choose Get Info
- Set all users/groups to Read & Write
Special Instructions for AccountEdge Pro 2014 on Mac
- Open the Applications then Utilities folder
- Launch Terminal
- In the Terminal window, enter open $TMPDIR and press the Return key on your keyboard
- A folder will open in Finder. The PDF file will be in this folder (delete it if the problem persists)
- Quit Terminal
- After completing these steps you will be able to successfully email documents from AccountEdge. There is no need to re-start your software.
An Error Occured While Sending Email
This error can occur when attemtping to send an email from AccountEdge in which the subject line or body of the email contains special characteres (ex: #"!"). Remove these characters and attempt to send the email again.