Changeable vs. Unchangeable Transactions
You can specify whether your transactions will be changeable or unchangeable after they've been recorded. That is, you can choose either to edit and delete transactions that are recorded in your company file or to maintain a comprehensive history of all transactions you that you enter.
AccountEdge provides a security preference that you can use to set your transactions as changeable or unchangeable.
Go to Setup > Preferences > Security. The top line on the Security Preference determines whether you want to be able to delete transactions or reverse them. Putting a check in this selection means you want to reverse transactions that are incorrect. No check in this selection means you want to delete the transactions that are incorrect.
Changeable transactions can be changed and deleted. If you notice a problem with a transaction, the transaction can be changed or completely removed from your company file if your transactions are changeable.
If your accountant has advised you to make necessary changes to your transactions, turn the security preference off.
Unchangeable transactions can only be reversed; they can't be changed or deleted after they've been recorded. If you notice a problem with an unchangeable transaction, you must record a reversal of the transaction to remove the effects of the original transaction from your records. Then, if you want, you can create and record a new transaction. Any transactions that were created in a previous fiscal year will no longer be editable after you go through the Start a New Fiscal Year process.
If your accountant requires that you maintain a strict audit trail, you should consider turning on this preference (Setup > Preferences > Security > Use Audit Trail Tracking.
Any transaction can be accessed from the Transaction Journal. The Transaction Journal is at the bottom center of the flow chart section of the Command Center for all but the Card File command center.
- AccountEdge 2016 and Newer: Changeable transactions will have a Double Arrow to the left of the transaction. Unchangeable transactions will have a Single Arrow to the left of the transaction.
- AccountEdge 2015 and Older: Changeable transactions will have a White Arrow to the left of the transaction. Unchangeable transactions will have a Speckled or Gray Arrow to the left of the transaction.
- Some transactions have no zoom arrow because the original transaction can't be displayed (and therefore also can't bed edited). Here's why some transactions have no zoom arrow:
- The date of the transaction is before the first day of your fiscal year (if you've used the Start a New Fiscal Year feature in your company file).
- The date of the transaction is within a purged period (if you've purged transactions from your company file). This occurs if the entire invoice or purchase order is purged, but the journal entries attached to them haven't been purged yet. Payments also display no arrow.
- End of the year adjustment -- this is an internal AccountEdge transaction that takes place during the Start a New Fiscal Year process. The transaction transfers the balance of the Current Year Earnings account to the Retained Earnings account.