Create Users and Set Passwords
- How to Create Users
- Restricting Access to Information
- User Accounts
- Simultaneous Users
- The Administrator User Account
If several people enter transactions into the same company file, you can control which windows and transactions they can access with user accounts. The ability to limit users' access can help to minimize fraud. For example, you can prevent a person who places orders with vendors from also being able to pay vendors, minimizing the likelihood of paying false bills.
The Administrator user is the only user that can create other users, set up user permissions, reset other user passwords, delete users, and make other users inactive when needed. This Administrator user is built into the program and is named "Administrator" specifically.
How to Create Users
You can only create users by logging in as the Administrator account. To do so you also need to be the ONLY user in the file.
To create a user account:
- Log in to your AccountEdge Company File
- Go to Setup > Preferences from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Click the Security tab
- Click the User IDs button in the bottom left corner (this is greyed out if you are not the Administrator user)
- Click New
- Type the user name in the User ID field, then type the password in the Password and Confirm Password fields
- If you want to copy the restrictions you've set up from another user, type or select an existing user account in the Copy Restrictions field (if you don't want to copy from another already created user you can just leave that blank)
- Click OK. The new user account appears in the User ID column of the User Access window
- (Optional) Click the new user account in the User ID column, then click in the Not Allowed column next to those command centers or functions to be denied to the user
- Click OK to close out of the User Setup window
Restricting Access to Information
User IDs can be set to restrict access to employee banking and contact information stored in the card file and on reports. You can set broad restrictions, such as access to the employee card file, or you can set specific restrictions, such as viewing employee banking details. This is all done from the User IDs section under the Administrator account.Click here for more information on user permissions.
A user can only open a company file by completing the Sign-on window. The user must enter a user ID and password to gain access to the user account. Then, whenever a user enters a transaction, it is labeled it with the user ID. This allows you to keep track of who entered particular transactions, useful for following up disputes with vendors or customers, and for identifying fraudulent transactions.
The user can reset their own password from the login screen or the Administrator can reset a user's password.
Your software allows more than one user to access a company file. The number of users who can access simultaneously depends on the number of users you are licensed for. If you require more users to have access to a company file, you can buy additional licenses whenever the need arises.
The Administrator User ID
As noted above, the Administrator User is the only one that can create and delete other users. This user also has access to all information and cannot be restricted. For that reason, as soon as you create a company file, you should generally assign a password to the Administrator user ID; otherwise, anyone can sign on and then enter, edit, and delete transactions.
To set a password for the Administrator user ID:
- Start your AccountEdge software and click Open your company file in the welcome window that appears
- In the Open window, select the company file to be opened, and click Open. The Sign-on window appears
- Click Change Password
- In the Change Password window, leave the Existing Password field blank, type the password in both the New Password and Confirm Password fields
- Click Record
If you forget the Administrator password there is unfortunately no way to reset it other then actually sending us the database. We do not store this password and do not have access to it remotely. If you forget the Administrator user you can contact us for options by calling 800-322-6962 (Monday-Friday 9 AM - 8 PM Eastern) or by emailing us.