Sell Items on Consignment
This article is for people who make and manufacture goods and then sell these goods through other merchants. If you want to sell items which other merchants make for you and that you sell on consignment please see this article.
If you are a manufacturer and you build raw components into finished goods please see this article for further information regarding how to do this and then continue on to the section regarding selling the items on consignment.
Selling Your Items on Consignment
When you sell your items on consignment - what you are really doing is marking the items as being committed and not available for sale elsewhere.
To accomplish this we are going to create a Sales Order for the Merchant who is going to be selling our items.
- Go to Card File > Cards List
- Confirm that you have a Customer card for the Merchant who you are consigning the items to (or Create a Customer Card if they don't exist)
- Go to Sales > Enter Sales
- Choose the Vendor you are consiging the items to
- Set the status in the upper left to "Order"
- Add any line items to the order as necessary
This will create an open Order which will set these items to be committed. They will not be available to be sold to other customers. You will leave them in the order status until they are sold by the Merchant you are consigning them to. Once the Merchant who is selling your items lets you know that they are sold (sends you the check or whatever you have agreed upon) you can then convert this Order into an Invoice.
- Open Sales > Sales Register
- Click on the arrow next to the Order from the previous set of instructions
- Click on the action button at the bottom left of the order and choose "Create Invoice"
- Make sure to only put into the "Ship" column the number of items they've actually sold - you will want to put the difference in the "Backorder" column
This will leave the rest of the items to be sold for consignment and charge the Merchant for the ones that were actually sold.