Send Company File to Someone
If you have an accountant or co-worker and you are in two different locations from each other, and you need them to have a copy of the company file to revise or review. There are ways of doing this, but you will not be able to simultaneously be in the file from two different locations. Below are two common scenarios.
You and your co-worker are in two different geographical locations, and you need to send them your company file so they can revise it and send it back to you.
When you send your file, you should NOT work in it. There is now a copy of it and if your colleague is making revisions, it will not reflect these changes on the file that's still on your computer. You should wait till your colleague sends back the company file, then you may continue to work on the updated copy.
You and your co-worker are in two different geographical locations, and you need to send them your company file so they can just review it (not make any changes).
In this case you don’t have to worry about halting work in your company file, you may proceed to work since your partner is only viewing it and not making any changes.
Ways of Sending Your Company File
- Use a USB Flash/Thumb Drive to copy your backup file to, and bring this to the physical location.
- Use Dropbox to Upload your backup to, and then create a "Public Link" for it and send the Public Link to your partner.
- Any other online Cloud-type storage of your preference.
- *Send your backup through email*.
*Typically if your file is around 50mb you might be able to email it as an attachment without compressing it. It's suggested however, to compress before sending (Using AccountEdge’s back up utility).*
Making Backup/Copy of Your File
In order to send the file, you must first create a copy of it - there are also a couple ways of doing this.
- You can 'back up' your company file in AccountEdge to your desktop (which will compress it in a .zip format)
- You can go to the actual physical location of your company file outside of AccountEdge, copy it, paste it on your desktop and send it via email (Attach the file)
The difference between the two is that option 1 backs up using AccountEdge's backup utility and will compress the file that will result in a smaller size.
Option 2 is similar to backing it up because you are essentially copying the file and pasting it on your desktop, but this will not be compressed and will be the actual size of the file (larger).
Backing Up and Finding Your Company FileOption 1 - Use the Backup Utility:
- In AccountEdge click 'File' on top toolbar
- Select 'Back Up'
- You want to make sure you are backing up 'to disk' (Which means to your computer)
- Select the location you want to back up to (IE Desktop)
- In AccountEdge go to your "Accounts" tab/module
- Click on 'Company Data Auditor'
- Where it says 'File Location' next to it is a magnifying glass (hyperlink on Windows), click on this.
- You will now see a new window open up bringing you to the actual company file entity.
- You can copy and paste the file from there.