*** Once you've turned on multiple locations this cannot be turned off again. You will need to set a location on each individual item transaction (Sales, Purchase, Inventory Adjustment). It is advised that you make a backup before turning this feature on.***
If you hold inventory at several locations, you can keep track of item quantities held at each location by recording:
- the location at which a purchased item is received (see 'Entering purchases')
- the location from where a sold item is shipped (see 'Entering sales')
- the movement of items between locations (see 'Recording inventory movements between locations')
The locations feature is optional. If you don't track inventory quantities and values, or all your inventory is held at one location, there's no need for you to use this feature.
If you want to use multiple locations, you need to create a record for each inventory location. After you create your first location, a Location field is added to the Purchases and Sales windows. When you record an item purchase or sale, you enter the receiving or selling location for the item in this field.
You can optionally record a default receiving and selling location for your items.
The primary location is automatically created in your company file. When you set up multiple locations, your existing inventory is assigned to this location. You can change the primary location ID and name, but you cannot delete it.
Create Inventory Locations
To create an inventory location
- Go to the Inventory command center and click Locations
- Click New
- In the Location ID field, type an identifier (of up to ten characters) for the new location and press TAB key on your keyboard
- Enter the name, address and contact details of the location
- If you do not sell items from this location, select the Items cannot be sold or shipped from this location option. If you select this option, you can only receive items at this location, or move items to and from this location using the Move Items window.
- Click OK
- Click Close
You use the Move Items window to record the movement of inventory between your locations. Although a transaction is not created when you move inventory items, inventory movements can be displayed in the Item Movement report.