Layouts for Sales & Purchases
When creating sales and purchases, changing the layout lets you change the data entry form of your sale or purchase transaction. There are five different sale layouts, and four different purchase layouts.
Service - The Service layout of the Sales window enables you to record the sale of services you provide that are not listed in your Items List as service items. This layout is used in purchases to record services you purchase. When reporting Service sales or purchases, you cannot filter on the service entered into this layout.
Item - The Item layout of the Sales and Purchases windows enables you to record the sale of items in your Items List. The items can be tangible items or service items. Using the Items list for service items affords you the opportunity to report sales and purchases of services. Bill units can be hours or instances. If you want to bill customers for items and time-based activities on one invoice, use the Time Billing layout (Setup > Preferences > System > I include items on Time Billing Invoices).
Professional - The Professional layout of the Sales window enables you to record the sale of items and services that are not in your Items List. You can assign a date to each line on the invoice, which is suitable when invoicing for services that have been provided over a period of time. In Purchases, the Professional layout provides the same capabilities.
Time Billing - The Time Billing layout of the Sales window enables you to invoice customers for Activities you have performed. You can also sell items from your Items List on a time billing invoice, once the preference is set to use this feature (Setup > Preferences > System > I include items on Time Billing Invoices).
You can create a time billing invoice in three ways:
- Create an Activity Slip: enter the information in the Enter Activity Slip window then click Create Invoice. This opens the Sales – New Time Billing window.
- Create Activity Slips: use the Prepare Time Billing Invoice function in the Time Billing command center. This ensures that your time billing reports include all Activity Slip information.
- Create a time billing invoice by selecting the Time Billing layout when creating a sale, and manually add Activities to your invoice.
The Time Billing layout is not available in Purchases.
Miscellaneous - The Miscellaneous layout of the Sales window enables you to record sales adjustments and other sale transactions that don't require you to print or email an invoice. It cannot be used to reference items in your Items list. This layout is available, providing similar capabilities, in Purchases.
You can customize the printed and email output of these layouts, but you cannot change the input data entry windows themselves.
You can define the default layout to use for each customer and vendor, on the customer and vendor cards. For customers (Lists > Cards > Customers), you can select the default Sale Layout in the Selling Details of the card. For vendors (Lists > Cards > Vendors), you can select the default Purchase Layout in the Buying Details of the card. In both cases, if you are indicating other than the Item Layout, you can select the default allocation account for transactions. (Item layout invoices use the accounts listed on the item profile.) Additionally, you can set the default layout for creating customer and vendor cards through the Easy Setup Assistant (Setup > Easy Setup Assistant: Purchases and Sales).
Within these layouts, several different transactions are available.
The following transactions are available in Sales:
- Quotes - Designed to record items, services and prices you quoted to potential customers.
- Progress Billing Quotes - Designed to itemize items and services, and invoice customers as work is completed.
- Orders - Record when customers order goods and services, but the good and services haven't been delivered, yet.
- Invoices - After good and services have been delivered, invoice the customer to receive payment.
- Credit Memo - Used to record returns and other customer credits
The following transactions are available in Purchases:
- Quotes - Used to record quotes vendors have made to you.
- Orders - Record vendor orders you've made
- Receive Items - Used to record the receipt of inventory items before you've actually received the bill. When you record this transaction, the items will become available for sale; the cost of the items will be updated when a bill is recorded.
- Bills - Records amounts you owe. You can also record terms on bills, which will show when payments are due.