Check is Missing Fields - Transaction is to be Paid Electronically
If you either get the message "This Transaction is to be Paid Electronically" or notice that the "Pay to the Order of" and Address fields do not display when writing a check, then you have linked the account you are trying to write a check from as your Bank Account for Electronic Payments.
- From the menu bar at the top of the screen choose Lists > Accounts List
- Verify that you have an account you can link as your electronic payment account. If you do not have an account you can create one by clicking "New" at the bottom left corner. The Bank Account for Electronic Payments is usually set as an account named "Electronic Clearing Account" and must be type "Bank".
- From the menu bar at the top of the screen choose Setup
- From Setup choose Linked Accounts > Accounts & Banking Accounts
- Click the drop down menu next to "Bank Account for Electronic Payments" to select the account you have designated for this. Click use account.
After doing this, when you go to write a check from your regular checking account, you will notice that the payee field is available and you no longer receive the message that the transaction is to be paid electronically.
The Electronic Clearing Account is used only as an electronic clearing account and not as a regular checking account. A clearing account is a temporary account used for accounting purposes and holds costs until they can be transferred elsewhere.