User IDs Inactive Since Upgrading
If you have upgrade a company file from an older version of AccountEdge, the User IDs will be automatically marked inactive because their functionality changed.
Passwords and sub-passwords are no longer used to restrict user access within a company file. Instead, you assign user privileges using the Administrator login. Passwords may be used with user IDs to sign on to AccountEdge; however, sub-passwords are no longer used.
If you're upgrading from an older version of AccountEdge or Premier Accounting, you'll have to activate your user IDs. To do this:
- Select the company file enter your Master password in the Password field. If you didn't use passwords, leave this field blank.
- Select Setup from the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Preferences from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the User IDs button in the bottom left.
- You'll notice all user IDs other than the Administrator as well as sub-passwords appear in this window and are Inactive. You won't be able to sign on. as a user, other than the Administrator, until you activate the user IDs.
If you used sub-passwords, you'll also see password user IDs in the User Access window. They contain the user restrictions from the sub-passwords created in the earlier version of your company file. For Example: the sub-password called SMITH in the previous version of AccountEdge will become PASSWORD#SMITH.
These password user IDs are not valid user IDs, but you can copy their access rights to newly-activated user IDs using the Copy User function. Once the user restrictions are copied to the activated user ID, you can delete the password user ID.
To activate a user in the User ID list complete the following tasks:
- Select Setup from the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Preferences from the drop down menu
- Click the Security tab
- Click the User IDs button in the bottom left
- Select the User Id you wish to make active.
- Click the Edit button.
- Uncheck the Inactive box.
- Add and confirm a password.
***Note: You can also choose to copy the access restrictions by using the copy Restrictions drop down menu. This is helpful if you had been using sub-passwords in earlier versions and you would like to use the same restrictions from old-passwords.