- 1. Before You Begin
- 2. Convert Accounts
- 3. Convert Contacts
- 4. Convert Items
Export Items From QuickBooks
- 1. Open your QuickBooks company file. Select the reports drop-down menu and then select List > Item Listing.
- 2. Select the Options button to access the available fields.
- 3. Select the fields you would like to export from QuickBooks and select Ok.
- 4. Click Export and Excel will launch the report automatically.
NOTE: If you receive the error message ‘Excel could not open Account Listing.xlsx because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook?’, click Open and Repair then save the repaired file.
- 5. Select and delete the report headers (top three lines) so that the field header records occupy the first row of the spreadsheet.
NOTE: We suggest you import the following fields: Item Number, Item Name, Asset Account, Income Account, Expense Account, Selling Price and Item Description.
- 6. You will need to add the the following account information for each item:
- Asset Account # (known as Asset Account in QuickBooks) you use to track inventoried items.
- Income Account # (Account in QuickBooks) you use to track the sale of the item.
- Expense/Cost Of Sales Account # (COGS Account in QuickBooks) you use to track when you purchase the item.
NOTE: Make sure you are using the new account numbers that you imported into AccountEdge from the ‘Transfer Your Account Information’ section.
For each item, AccountEdge will need to know if you buy the item, sell the item and/or inventory the item.
- 7. Insert a column to the right of each of the following columns and create the corresponding headers:
- To the right of the Asset Account column - create a new column and title it Inventory
- To the right of the COGS Account column - create a new column and title it Buy
- To the right of the Account column - create a new column and title it Sell
- 8. In the newly created columns, mark the items under the appropriate actions. These columns will tell AccountEdge if you want to buy, sell, or inventory the item.
- In the new Inventory column, designate with an “X” the items you would like AccountEdge to track as inventoried items.
- In the new Buy column, designate with an “X” the items you would like AccountEdge to track as items you buy.
- In the new Sell column, designate with an “X” the items you would like AccountEdge to track as items you sell.
- 9. Save the Excel file in a Tab-Delimited Text format.
Import Items into AccountEdge
- 1. Open your new company file in AccountEdge, click on the File drop-down menu, and select Import Date > Items.
- 2. Select the following:
- Import File Format: Tab-delimited
- First Record is: Header Record
- Duplicate Records: Reject Them
- 3. The Open File window appears. Select the tab-delimited file you saved in step 9 from the ‘Export Items From QuickBooks’ section.
- 4. Match your old QuickBooks fields to your new AccountEdge fields. Select the field on the left and then select the field you would like to match it to on the right. Continue this process until all desired fields have been matched appropriately. Select Import.
NOTE: If you rename your item header fields to match the ones exported from the AccountEdge Sample Company File, you can select Automatch to automatically match import fields to the fields listed in the Fields column.
- 5. After your import is complete, a pop-up window will appear letting you know how many records were imported without errors, skipped, or imported with warnings.
- If it says all your records imported without errors, you have completed importing your QuickBooks items into your AccountEdge company file.
- If the window shows some records were skipped, or that some records were imported with warnings, continue to the Import Log section.
Items Import Log
The AccountEdge Import Log will list any errors that occurred during the import process. The errors and warnings that occurred during the import process are listed at the bottom of the log. Those error codes will correspond to the number in front of each record.
Open the AccountEdge Import Log (found in the same folder that contains your AccountEdge Company File). Open Import Log.txt with a spreadsheet program for easier viewing.
Open the tab-delimited or comma-separated text file you saved to import your data and make the corrections needed based on the error messages. Then, re-import the file.
NOTE: Make sure to select Duplicate Records > Update Existing Record when you re-import the file.
Continue that process until all records have been imported successfully.