- 1. Before You Can Begin
- 2. Convert Account Data
- 3. Convert Contact Data
- 4. Convert Item Data
Export Customers From Sage
The instructions found in this section will focus on customers, but the same steps can also be used for Leads, Vendors, and Employees.
- 1. Open your Sage file, click on Lists from the top menu bar and then go to Customers & Sales > Customers.
- 2. Select the Settings button to access the available fields.
- 3. Move the fields you would like to export from Sage to the ‘Select Columns’ area and select Ok.
- 4. Select Send To > Excel. Select ‘Create a new Microsoft Excel workbook’ and select OK. Excel will launch automatically and display your customer information.
Look at your list of Customer and make sure that they follow the AccountEdge format for contact information.
NOTE: AccountEdge allows you to keep track of a contact card by company name or contact name. If you track customers by Contact Name, you should use the ‘Co./Last Name’ and ‘First Name’ fields. If you maintain contact by Company Name, you should use the ‘Co./Last Name’. If you track both a Company Name and Contact Name for your customers, you should match your Company Name column to the ‘Co./Last Name’ field and Contact Name to ‘Contact’ field in AccountEdge.
- 5. Save the Excel file in a Tab-Delimited Text format.
NOTE: If your Sage Customer Names contains commas, they will be imported into AccountEdge with quotation marks, unless they are removed before saving this file.
Import Customer Data into AccountEdge
We suggest you import the following fields: Company or First Name, Last Name, Street 1, Street 2, City, State, and Postal/Zip, Contact, Phone, and Email.
- 1. Click on the File drop-down menu, and select Import Data > Cards > Customer Cards.
- 2. Select the following:
- Import File Format: Tab-delimited
- First Record is: Header Record
- Duplicate Records: Reject Them
- 3. The Open File window appears. Select the tab- delimited file you saved in step 5 from the ‘Export From Sage’ Section.
- 4. Here you will match your old Sage fields to your new AccountEdge fields. Select the field on the left and then select the field you would like to match it to on the right. Continue this process until all desired fields have been matched appropriately. Select Import.
NOTE: If you rename your customer header fields to match the ones exported from the AccountEdge Sample Company File, you can select Automatch to automatically match import fields to the fields listed in the Fields column.
- 5. After your import is complete, a pop-up window will appear letting you know how many records were imported without errors, skipped, or imported with warnings.
- If it says all your records imported without errors, you have completed importing your Sage customers into your AccountEdge company file. Continue to the next section and import your item information.
- If the window shows some records were skipped, or that some records were imported with warnings, continue to the Import Log section.
Customer Data Import Log
The AccountEdge Import Log will list any errors that occurred during the import process. The errors and warnings that occurred during the import process are listed at the bottom of the log. Those error codes will correspond to the number in front of each record.
Open the AccountEdge Import Log (found in the same folder that contains your AccountEdge Company File). Open Import Log.txt with a spreadsheet program for easier viewing.
Open the tab-delimited or comma-separated text file you saved to import your data and make the corrections needed based on the error messages. Then, re-import the file.
NOTE: Make sure to select Duplicate Records > Update Existing Record when you re-import the file.
Continue that process until all records have been imported successfully.