Switch from QuickBooks
Export Customers From QuickBooks
The instructions in this section will focus on customers, but the same steps can also be used for Leads, Vendors, and Employees.
- Open your QuickBooks file, select the Reports drop-down menu, and select List > Customer Contact List.
- Select the Options button to access the available fields.
- Select the fields you would like to export from QuickBooks and select Ok.
- Click Export, and Excel will launch the report automatically.
NOTE: If you receive the error message ‘Excel could not open Account Listing.xlsx because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook?’, click Open and Repair, then save the repaired file.
- Select and delete the report headers (top three lines) so that the field header records occupy the first row of the spreadsheet.
- Match your fields properly and confirm that all fields are in the appropriate format.
NOTE: AccountEdge allows you to keep track of a contact card by company name or contact name. If you track customers by Contact Name, use the ‘Co./Last Name’ and ‘First Name’ fields. If you maintain contact by Company Name, use the ‘Co./Last Name’. If you track a Company Name and Contact Name for your customers, you should match your Company Name column to the ‘Co./Last Name’ field and Contact Name to the ‘Contact’ field in AccountEdge.
- Save the Excel file in a Tab-Delimited Text format.
NOTE: If your QuickBooks Customer Names contain commas, they will be imported into AccountEdge with quotation marks unless removed before saving this file.
Import Customers into AccountEdge
We suggest you import the following fields: Company or First Name, Last Name, Street 1, Street 2, City, State, Postal/Zip, Contact, Phone, and Email.
- Click on the File drop-down menu and select Import Data > Cards > Customer Cards.
- Select the following:
- Import File Format: Tab-delimited
- First Record is: Header Record
- Duplicate Records: Reject Them
- The Open File window appears. Select the tab-delimited file you saved in step 7 from the ‘Export From QuickBooks’ Section.
- You will match your old QuickBooks fields to your new AccountEdge fields here. Select the field on the left and then select the field you want to match it to on the right. Continue this process until all desired fields have been matched appropriately. Select Import.
NOTE: If you rename your customer header fields to match the ones exported from the AccountEdge Sample Company File, you can select Automatch to match import fields to the fields listed in the Fields column automatically.
- After completing your import, a pop-up window will show you how many records were imported without errors, skipped, or imported with warnings.
If it says all your records imported without errors, you have completed importing your QuickBooks customers into your AccountEdge company file. Continue to the next section and import your item information.
If the window shows that some records were skipped or were imported with warnings, continue to the Import Log section.
Customer Import Log
The AccountEdge Import Log will list any errors during the import process. The errors and warnings during the import process are listed at the bottom of the log. Those error codes will correspond to the number in front of each record.
Open the AccountEdge Import Log (found in the same folder that contains your AccountEdge Company File). Open Import Log.txt with a spreadsheet program for easier viewing.
Open the tab-delimited or comma-separated text file you saved to import your data and make the corrections based on the error messages. Then, re-import the file.
NOTE: Select Duplicate Records > Update Existing Record when re-importing the file.
Continue that process until all records have been imported successfully.